Wednesday 8 January 2014

6th, 7th and 8th January

So yeah I know I made a rule that I would do this everyday but rules are made to be broken. The last few days have been fairly busy what with the deadline for Assemble, discussing actors for the next LABB event, Bondage sketch re-writes, Oonagh (my girlfriend) stealing my laptop to do her work on and everything else I've been trying to do this slipped me by.

So what have I been up to, well the deadline for the next Assemble night was today so applications have been coming in thick and fast there are some really exciting projects and me and Hannah (Woods) will make our decision tomorrow. Keep your eyes on the twitter and facebook feeds for details @AssembleNW .

Bondage is also coming together I've finished the re-writing for my sketches and hopefully there will be a cast rehearsal on Saturday.

I've also finished reading Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys. Gaiman is one my favourite authors his latest book for adults The Ocean at the End of the Lane was my favourite book of 2013. Anansi Boys tells the story of Fat Charlie who on finding out about his estranged and rather embarrassing father has dies learns that he is in fact the Spider Trickster God Anansi, when Fat Charlie asks if his father was a God why did he not get any powers he find out they went to his brother, Spider. Tricksters are really interesting archetype they cause mischief and chaos and are normally very funny.
"Tricksters disrupt the world around them, playful, mischievous, subversive, amoral. Tricksters are a great bother to have around, but paradoxically they are also indispensable heroes of culture"
 Anansi Boys mixes humour with fantasy a delicious mix that makes this a fun and interesting look into the power of storytelling. Gaiman completely gets to grips with the paradox within the character, Spider brings chaos to Fat Charlie's world but from that Chaos comes order. It's a funny book but this humour that comes from somewhere dark, somewhere old, it's a story that Anansi would be proud off.

Tomorrow will be another busy day but I will blog about tomorrow night, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment