Friday 22 August 2014

Edinburgh Fringe Daily Diary Day 11 Thursday 21st

So we are getting towards the end of our run, it has been fun but it's also been hard work and exhausting. Today I wanted to get away from the fringe so I set off fairly early and went to browse some second hand book stores and record shops. I sat in a cafe and had a coffee and didn't really do anything. I then headed back towards the centre of the city and grab myself some lunch from the Tempting Tattie. I ordered a medium potato which in hindsight was fucking mental as it was huge but delicious the guy behind the counter was really friendly and we had a little chat. Afterwards I walked over to Haymarket train station to pick our friend Jess up, we dropped her bags off at the flat and then headed up towards the Royal Mile.

I then went to meet Gary and Joe who were ukulele shopping. Joe uses one in his act and he want one of superior quality than the plastic one he purchased from the Early Learning Centre five years ago.  When I arrived Gary was sat on a sofa in the shop and Joe was quizing the sales women over the ukulele.

"It sounds better than my current one"

"Yeah it will because it's made out of wood, not plastic."

"Yeah, but it's not blue, my current one is blue, could I paint this one?"

"No. Well you could, but you'd ruin it."

After Joe brought his ukulele we headed up to the Royal Mile and began to flyer, we were starting earlier today as we really wanted a good crowd for our second to last night. I also needed to head over to drop of our donation for the PBH Free Fringe. As I was walking down the street the heavens opened and I was almost drowned by the onslaught of water. The entire mile was deserted, this was worrying as it was about 4:15 and this was prime time to be flyering for the show. I went and sat with Gary and his friend Baz in Sportsters bar as I attempted to dry off. We waited for an hour for the rain to die down, but I really had been caught in the thick off it and my socks would remain wet till I got home in the evening (after 10pm)

We hit the mile again, now that the rain had died down there were few people, but even fewer flyers which I think worked in our favour there was more room to walk up and down the mile, so people were more likely to stop and talk to us about our shop.

Tonight's gig went really well for all three of us, they were a loud friendly audience, my only problem was at the end when off my set where I lose my temper with the audience was hard to pull off because the audience were so lovely everyone was doing what I said first time, but I successfully imagined to isolate myself from the audience once again and the gig was a success. So successful that someone left a bag of frozen peas, which I think tops the teddy bear from last week. Of course I'm not sure if this counts in the same way as it was from my friend and his Dad who had come to see the show and had read the blog about the teddy bear, still the vegetables are appreciated.

We had tea at Pizza Hut and we were lucky enough to be served by George again, he was as friendly and as funny as last time. Joe was ordering a glass of water and then several other people asked for water, George said
"None of you wanted water until he said it."

"Perhaps we could just get a jug?" I suggested

"You couldn't drink a whole jug by yourself" I mean that's not what I had meant but it was funny and I saw it as a challenge.

He brought over a jug and we continued with our meal, about half an hour later he walked past and had another look.

"You're getting through that fast. Do you want another one?"

"I think I'll be fine thanks."

"Are you sure, because if you had two you could hold them up and go look at my jugs."

How could I say no.

We left Pizza Hut and grabbed a taxi home, everyone was up for going out but I felt like I needed a early night, and I don't think my stomach could take another night of drinking (it was still recovering from the stupid amount of water I drank.) I caught up with a bit of TV and then went to bed. Tomorrow the last day and I hope it goes well I really want to end this festival on a high.

No comments:

Post a Comment