Wednesday 20 August 2014

Edinburgh Fringe Daily Diary Day 9 Tuesday 19th

So today was the last day Oonagh was up visiting, we got up early and headed into town with me dragging her portable library  (she doing her masters so brings about 13 hardback with her wherever she travels.) We went for Brunch (yeah that's right we're those type of people) at Sportsters bar, the food was OK and then we waited for Ed O'Mera show, it's about the Roman Empire and Oonagh had wanted to see whilst we'd be up but we'd frequently ran out of time. Ed is really friendly and funny, his other show is on after ours so if you are planning on coming to see us you should defiantly hang around for his show.  After the show Gary and Mark Till were waiting outside. Mark had come up to visit us for a few days as massive Sherlock Holmes we took him to The Conan Doyle pub which is in the square that Arthur Conan Doyle was born in. Gary is obsessed with Edinburgh so walking through the streets you get a history lesson about the city and Mark is an encyclopedia when it comes to life and work of Conan Doyle, thus making this the most informed walk I'd ever been on.

Mark and Gary had lunch and then we headed on down towards the Royal Mile to do some flyering. We flyered hard today and with Oonagh, Mark and Jamie all lending a hand we were able to hand a fair few out, I also found people asking me where the venue was which I guess can only be a good sign. Before the show began I took Oonagh to the train station and we said goodbye.

I ran back to the venue and got changed. We had a nice crowd at least 30 and they were all friendly and smiling which is always a bonus. However we realised we couldn't get the speakers to work, the other week I'd experimented seeing what the room would be like with a mic, I didn't enjoy it but I knew I could do it. Joe and Gary were a bit more panicky about the mic not working and on top off that Gary was having trouble tuning his banjo. We did the low-fi version of the show, the crowd were really lovely and even though some bits just didn't work as well the gig was a success with some lovely feedback.

After the show I had to make a quick exit as I had a ticket to see Josie Long. Josie's show is easily one my favourite at this years fringe, the show is funny and heart felt and as an audience you really go on a journey but not one of those shitty contrived ones. Josie Long is a brilliant comedian but this was by far her most personal show, it's also her funniest.  Afterwards I sent the guys and text to see where they were and was waiting outside the venue, I noticed some other people were waiting obviously to see Josie. Oonagh and I had tried to get tickets for the gig at the weekend but she had sold out it was totally my fault as I should have been more organised. I thought Josie could sign the free comic she gives her audience at the start the show. Josie came out and it became clear that the people waiting for her weren't fans but actual friends off hers. I was about to turn around when her friend pointed out that I was waiting to speak to her. I explained that Oonagh had tried to see her and she was really friendly and lovely and signed the programme and asked what  Oonagh was studying, after that I gave her a flyer for my show and she had a look at it and asked me how the show was going, I was honest said I found the last week tough but things were starting to get better. She said that normally the way it goes. She also found the photo of Joe on the back really funny. She said she probably wouldn't be able to make our show as she liked to relax before performing but wished me luck.

After that I met back up with the guys, Joe wanted to go to C-Venue Gary said wild horses couldn't keep him out...we compromised with a drink in a bar and then headed home.

No comments:

Post a Comment