Tuesday 19 August 2014

Edinburgh Fringe Festival Diary Day 8 Monday 18th

Well the weekend was over and we were back to work today, myself and Oonagh didn't have any plans for the morning so we just pottered around the house. We had planned on going to see a play called Unsung at C-Nova, sadly though when we arrived at the venue, due a family emergency the show wasn't able to go ahead, which was a shame but hopefully I'll be able to catch it later on in the week. After that we headed down to Greyfriar's Bobby, one thing I am get impressed with is just how good my navigation skills around the city are people able to take short cuts and see which streets lead where. Greyfriar's Bobby is a local legend off a loyal dog who's said to have waited by his master's grave for 14 years. Over years people have questioned the legitimacy off this story, with there being three, that;s right three books claiming to have finally exposed the truth, I mean it's a nice story and anyone with common sense might be see how the story isn't a hundred percent true, but writing a book about one urban legend? Time well spent. We met up with Jamie who's here for the week with his family, we grabbed some food and then it was time to flyer.

Flyering today seemed to be hard for me I don't know if I just stood at the wrong part in the mile or my weekend off had knocked my confidence but there weren't many people taking flyers, Joe, Gary and Oonagh all seemed to be having more luck than myself. Gary and Joe dress as the old couple from our first sketch and this is often a successful way off dragging people into the show. Today though well, I don't if you've ever seen them but there are stages up and down the Royal Mile, normally they are vacated by a cappella groups or shows about Oliver Twist set in Nazi Germany, but day there was a gap for some reason and the women in charge (we say in charge she was just wearing a high vis jacket she could have been anyone) said Joe and Gary could have 15 minutes to perform, they got and perform a series of songs (they played blowin' in the wind 5 times) this gathered a crowd who I could then flyer. I do have photos and videos which I'll upload when the day to day madness off all of this has died down.

 Something must have worked because we got about 30 people in the room. Joe and Gary sets went down well, although they both said they had found the room hard, I went out and gave the best performance I had given off the entire fringe. It felt pretty amazing, gig haven't been going badly but I've never been as good as I would have liked to have been, or I've been on top form but the audience didn't get but tonight all was perfect, and it was being filmed, right up until I heard my camera making a very strange noise. I looked over and Oonagh was looking at the camera with a sense of panic.

I FUCKING HATE MY CAMERA WHY? IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING WORKED *runs over and grabs tree branch and starts hitting the camera* WHY NOW? WHEN I NEEDED YOU MOST?

but despite this I enjoyed the gig, afterwards it was quick turn around to go and see Frank Skinner, we got to the venue just in time and watch him do his set, Skinner really is a master off his art form, and it was well written and performed show (but then what do you expect). Afterwards Joe and Gary hung around has they wanted their photo taken with him, we saw him leave a few minutes later he was really friendly and just bloody lovely but apologise as his taxi was waiting for him, just as he was about to leave Oonagh told Frank that her Mum had seen him do a gig at the Bear pub in Bearwood (the road where Smethwick and Birmingham met) whilst she was pregnant with Oonagh.
"Oh Oonagh, that makes you my youngest fan." He then insisted on giving Oonagh a hug, we said our goodbyes and thanked him. We headed back towards the main street to get some food. When we heard a voice shout "Oonagh" we turned round and it was the member of security who had been walking next to Frank, "Frank just said as he got in the car I should have asked her for some money for that gig." Frank Skinner is just bloody lovely.


No comments:

Post a Comment